Episode 70: June 21
Topic: Cutting into Vintage Textiles #pfScrappy
Fibr & Cloth Studio Iris Pattern
Warp and Weft Textiles $100 gift card
Jennifer Lauren Handmade Any pdf pattern
Attended sewing retreat by TopStitchAtl – and it was divine! A great time – well organized, good pacing, lots of free time, and focused time. Staff were amazing.
Made a #pfScrappy dress but it needs some work. I used some nani iro double gauze and several types of linen and it hangs weird. It is a landscape dress from a photo of the place Jim and I got engaged.
Made a matching Ashton top to go with the resort wear shirt I made for Jim.
Made another Dragon Fruit dress in beautiful leaf printed cotton voile from Mood fabrics. – had a struggle with the serger, but it turned out ok.
Two more Sew House Seven Free Range slacks, one as shorts and one as pants – wide leg version. I used the most fabulous textured cotton from Core Fabrics. Love them both!
New patterns: Tauko Tuesday!
Jenny’s favs: note Tauko is available from Warp & Weft Textiles!
Marseille Dress – Hey June Handmade
Up to 63” hip
Make by TFS- May Jean – max hip 63”
Closet Core Patterns Faye Swimsuit
Max size: 60/53/63
Tilly and the Buttons Coralie swimsuit
Max size: 60/53/61
Vintage Textiles & sewing.
I do a lot of thrifting; I thought talking about re-use, re-fashion, and cutting up vintage textiles might be appropriate.
Examples might include:
- Granny Square afghans – make into sweaters, skirts, etc – okay, or not?
- Table & kitchen linens as fabric.
Brittney https://www.instagram.com/brttnlsn/ talks about making still functional quilts into clothing as akin to gentrification and notes that many quilters still here say they’d be devastated to see their quilts cut up for clothing. Once a quilt no longer functions as a blanket, she likens its use as fabric to a collaboration with the original artist.
- Mary Fons (Fons&Porter?) posted a viral video that said quilts into clothing is never ok – and likened it to cultural appropriation. Eek. The language used & tone of the vid got a lot of grief from BIOOC quilters especially.
- Is there an intersection with fat here? A quilt is a good-sized bit of fabric from one perspective. 😂
- Gee’s Bend quilts: https://artsandculture.google.com/story/gee-39-s-bend-work-clothes-quilts-souls-grown-deep-foundation/qAWhldzBANgbzg?hl=en
Tiny pricks project – IG – I submitted some artwork for this project. The formal project is over now, but the account is still a great one to follow. Diana Weymar created the project – stitching a material record. Lots of quotes by Trump and responses to him. She started it using thrifted and other vintage housewares.
2 replies on “70. Cutting into Vintage Textiles – yay or nay?”
So glad you mentioned Tiny Pricks Project! I’ve been following them from almost the start of their project. Aren’t they awesome?