91 Sewing Classes #pfSewNotClothes
Noodlehead – pdf pattern
Our last month sponsor Needle Sharp has offered a discount code for all of our listeners this month! It is: PFNOV
Johassler: Labels & patches for one lucky winner
Beverly: Working on HAND quilted vest using Grainline Tamarack pattern (large sizes, small sizes) – will talk about later – it’s a class I’m taking
I’ve made a wonderful dress from M&M fabrics – deets on my Instagram.
Love Notions Legato Jeans (58/50/60)
- Meant for denim with ~1-3% spandex/elastane
- Curvy and straight waistband options
- Full and flat butt adjustments
- Details like topstitching, rivets and metal button closure
Topic: Sewing classes
Sew Liberated Creative Hinterland -$295.00
The Creative Hinterland: Patternmaking for Mindful Sewists teaches you the skills you need to modify sewing patterns to your liking, bringing a spirit of playfulness to your sewing hobby and your closet.
Includes drafting instructions for 12 Hinterland hacks, a value of $192, PLUS over 20 hours of video instruction and membership in our vibrant online course community.
This course is designed for intermediate to advanced sewists.
Pattern making topics covered:
- Tools and supplies
- How-to coaching on research and style planning
- Mindset coaching
- Rotating darts into new locations
- Creating new seams, including color blocking and princess seams
- Changing seam locations and functions through developing yokes and closures
- Adding design ease through gathers, slash and spread, and in seams
- Changing armhole and neckline shaping
- Adapting sleeves to different styles and fit preferences
- Developing raglan seams in two different ways
- Drafting different edge finishes like shaped facings and bias facings
- Drafting collars, including flat collars and a convertible collar
- Creating new pocket styles
- Drafting a circle skirt to fit your bodice
- Drafting a culotte bottom to fit your bodice
- Developing details such as pintucks, keyhole necklines, and released darts
- Different levels of memberships for different prices. Skill builder classes are in depth instruction for specific sewing areas: sleeves, collars, pockets, zippers, buttonholes, etc.
- Sew Sew live – search her you tube channel and you may find your pattern already sewing by Saremy and a full sew along in real time!
- Also has a message board. I’m a member but I really don’t take advantage of it.
Courses offered through local fabric stores– many of these are focused on beginners and many are not accessible for everyone. Things to look for: size-inclusive patterns, room between sewing machine stations – COVID has been helpful in this regard, but not all rooms are easy for everyone to get around in. A good way to meet sewing friends and to learn new skills. I have done “this looks right” quilting, but don’t know the rules – best to know them before I break them. My entry into quilting is this quilted vest class focusing on hand quilting.
Domesticity offers many classes for locals.
Confident Pattern making & drafting: Erbaccia Studio
Learn Illustrator for digital pattern drafting/grading
Weekly meetings for 12 weeks
Forever access to the video instructions, new videos still being added sometimes
Start with a button down fitted shirt, then apply those skills to other forms
Maggie McGill how-to-instagram for small businesses
Planning for Instagram development of your business
How to engage, set calendars, etc
Mimi G’s sewing school
- STEP-BY-STEP COURSES: Each course is designed to be concise and easy to follow.
- OUR METHOD: We use easy to understand terms and clear instruction to keep you interested and excited as you go through each course.
- COURSE GUIDE: Each course is designed to build on the skills learned on the previous course.
- AUTO RESUME: Log in and get right back to where you left off.
- OUR FOUNDER: Mimi G has taught tens of thousands of people to sew and has built a recognized and respected brand. She is most known for her ability to teach anyone.
- INCLUSION: With over 54 womenswear courses and 29 menswear new courses added monthly we offer something for students at each skill level.
New York Sewing – in person or virtual classes
Located in New York City’s Garment District, The New York Sewing Center has long been an authority on sewing education. Now, the center has taken its instruction to the digital realm, with a variety of classes, workshops, and private lessons offered online through Zoom or FaceTime. The uniqueness and wide variety of choices in classes that the New York Sewing Center offers put them in the top slot.
If a one-on-one private lesson is what you’re after, you can learn at your own pace courtesy of an instructor at a cost of around $60. The company is also flexible—if you don’t have a sewing machine, you can receive lessons in hand sewing, embroidering, or knitting. The New York Sewing Center team can also help you find a machine that matches what you’re looking for.
You can also sign up for an online workshop. Offerings are constantly changing and updating. Past classes include Virtual Summer Top workshop (you’ll make a chic fabric and elastic top ) and Virtual Knit Jumpsuit class roughly ($275) , during which you’ll create your own soft, stretchy, and stylish jumpsuit (pattern included). The New York Sewing Center has classes designed for all levels, including kids. They can sign up for a Virtual Fashion Summer Camp (about $375), learn how to make a skirt and scrunchie outfit, and more.
Prices vary depending on which class you choose, and they can last anywhere from one hour, a full day, or even 2 to 3 hours per week for up to six weeks to complete.
The English Taylor – YouTube channel with instructions for menswear
Skillshare has classes in pattern making, sewing, draping, etc
Getting an education in pattern construction will help you further understand how garments come to life. Hyden Yoo, the instructor of this course, is the creator of his own eponymous fashion label, and his mens- and womenswear have been featured in publications such as GQ, Elle, Details, WWD, Nylon, and W.
In this Skillshare class, Yoo outlines how important the paper pattern is in garment production. The class is designed for beginners and will teach you a simple, four-step process for pattern drafting: measurement (taking proper measurements to build a pattern), detailing (creating different collar types), materials (choosing materials for the optimal fit), and finally, paper drafting (actually drafting the paper pattern).
You’ll complete the lessons by creating a pattern for one of the workhorses of anyone’s wardrobe—the classic T-Shirt. If you don’t have a Skillshare membership yet, you’ll be able to take the class for free during the platform’s 30 day free trial period. A Basic Membership is free with limited access. The Premium Membership costs $32 per month, or about $170 annually.
Craftsy : like Skillshare, but just crafts
Classes from Indie pattern makers:
Closet core Ginger Jeans
Cashmerette offers several, including: pants, bra, jeans, etc.
Helen’s closet sewing tutorials -free
Reminder to rate & review
Reminder to join our Patreon