Sponsor for June: Topstitch Makers Community : 3-month membership – all month long – total of 4 prizes! On Instagram they are TopstitchATL.
Some past special guests for live talks have been Katie Kortman, Sarah Watts, Brooks Ann Camper, Sarah Thomas and Ruth Collins to name a few.
Some patterns / projects sewalongs include Elizabeth Suzann Clyde Jumpsuit, Closet Core Patterns Kalle Shirt, Noodlehead Sandhill Sling, Fibremood Mable Top to name a few.
All members can re-watch recordings of our live sessions. It is normally $29 per mo or $290 per yr.
This is a short video tour Leigh made a while back.
Beverly: Self-drafted tiered dress – toile version for my Portugal dress (“Obrigada”)
Max 63” hip
https://www.frenchpoetry.com/produit/pleiades-1-dress-sewing-pattern/ (size upgrade – max 64” hip)
A plain and elegant jacket, perfect for wearing over a dress. Miriam is great for both formal and casual occasions. The pattern is suitable for beginners that want to learn. Choose between a ribbon or elasticated waist and a button for closure at the waist. The pattern includes two sleeve options: a short, gathered sleeve and a plain, long sleeve.
Did you start sewing with knits or wovens?
- First garments:
- Jenny : Three piece suit, lined, with my mom. Independently, a long dress with drop waist and button placket.
- First knit garments:
- Jenny: probably knit shorts for my kids
- Beverly is a bad influence
- How to start off in knits if you’ve started with wovens, making the switch
Sewing with knits: what to do & do not.
- Ball point needles – part the fabric, not pierce it
- Clear elastic for weight bearing seams
- Serger or cover stitch machine
- Always preshrink fabric
- Use stretch stitches
- Use a scrap to start off if your machine usually eats the fabric at the edge
- Walking foot
- Test first!
- Never let your fabric hang over the edge when cutting; the weight of the fabric will make it stretch as you’re cutting.
Favorite Knit patterns :
True Bias Hudson Pants– maybe my most worn item? Love them so much.
Rebecca Paige Toronto Tee– Free basic tee shirt
Helen’s Closet Luna Tank – excellent sleepwear and work out top FREE – up to 60” chest
Favorite sources of knit fabric:
Beverly- T shirt material: stylemaker modal cotton blend. SO GOOD.
Art Gallery knit fabrics are great in patterns!